In the early 1900's the population of Honolulu expanded beyond to Kewalo, Punchbowl, Kalihi, and Kaimuki. The Catholics of Kaimuki attended Mass in the Convent Chapel of the Sacred Hearts Sisters on Waialae Avenue. However, by 1917, this became too small. The chaplain of the Sister's convent, Father Patrick St. Leger, SS.CC. decided it was time to build a church for the catholics of Kaimuki. He started Plans for a new building but because of poor health could not complete the work Father Athanasius Bous, SS.CC. took on the task of the new church with energy. The Catholics of Kaimuki generously contributed to the building fund. The new church was consecrated by Bishop Alencaster on February 10, 1929 and named it "St. Patrick", after its first pastor.
Father Athanasius then turned his attention to the nearly 1,500 Catholic students in the five public schools in the Kaimuki district. The parish needed a school but the large debt for the church made this dream possible. Bishop Alencaster had an idea. He offered to Father Athanasius the old wooden buildings left on the River Street.
These buildings were vacant when the Congregation moved Saint Louis College to Kalaepohaku in Kaimuki. In early February 1930, work started on a new St. Patrick School. By September 1930 a building with eight classrooms plus an auditorium stood ready for 200 students. The Sisters of the Congregration of the Sacred Hearts agreed to staff the school. During the subsequent years, two classes were added each year. In 1933, the American Legion donated and erected a 65 foot flagpole for the school.
The Sisters of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts administered the school from 1930-1984. On January 14, 1949, a night fire destroyed the old wooden buildings.
The priests and sisters from Sacred Hearts Academy, who taught at St. Patrick, rushed over to help put out the fire. Sadly, everything but two classrooms was lost. St. Patrick was without a school. A generous offer came from St. Louis College. The students of St. Patrick were allowed the use of the school's facilities on the slopes of Kalaepohaku. St. Patrick students could continue school. Saint Patrick students attented morning classes at St. Louis College and students of St. Louis attended classes from 12 noon to 4 in the afternoon. This arrangement continued until the new Saint Patrick School was dedicated in early July, 1950.
During the early years the school grew from 176 students in the first year to over 980 students in 1955. The Sacred Hearts Sisters left the school in 1984. The enrollment had declined to 670 students. A series of lay principals followed from 1985 to 1993. Then, in 1994 Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet accepted the administration of the school. The St. Joseph Sisters continued to develop the school until 2006.
In 2013, the Fathers united and merged Provinces under the title: Brothers of the US-Hawaii Province. The school was asked to formalize as a separate Corporation from the Religious Community. On January 2014, Saint Patrick School became a new Corporation. The Board of Directors are the Brothers and Sisters of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts. The President of St. Patrick Corporation is the current Pastor of St. Patrick Church. The Vice President is the Director of Education; and the Secretary/Treasurer is the School Finance Officer. Under the sponsorship of the SS.CC. Congregation, we fully embrace the core values and spirituality of the Congregation: Eucharist, humility, integrity, compassion, reconciliation, and forgiveness.