Church History and Mission
Saint Patrick Church History
In the early 1900’s the population of Honolulu expanded beyond Kewalo, Punchbowl, Kalihi and Kaimuki areas. The Catholics of Kaimuki attended mass in the convent chapel of the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts on Waialae Avenue. However, by 1917, this became too small for the growing population. The Chaplin of the Sisters’ Convent, Father Patrick St. Leger ss. cc. decided it was time to build a church for the Catholics in Kaimuki. He started the plans for the new building but could not complete the work because of poor health.
Father Athanasius Bous ss.cc took on the task of the new church with energy! The Catholics of Kaimuki generously contributed to the building fund. The new church was consecrated by Bishop Alencaster on February 10, 1929 and named St. Patrick, after its first pastor.
We, the members of St. Patrick Church, through the baptism of Jesus Christ, are a believing and loving community committed to living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Based on that love and commitment and with the help of the Holy Spirit, we will:
Celebrate our faith as a community of believers through
worship, prayers, and communal action
Strengthen our knowledge and love of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Foster a welcoming environment that encourages communication within our parish ‘ohana
Invite and encourage each parishioner to share ideas, gifts, and talents
Reach out to the needs of our community.