In the early 1900’s the population of Honolulu expanded beyond to Kewalo, Punchbowl, Kalihi, and Kaimuki. The Catholics of Kaimuki attended Mass in the Convent Chapel of the Sacred Hearts Sisters on Waialae Avenue. However, by 1917, this became too small. The chaplain of the Sisters’ convent, Father Patrick St. Leger, SS.CC. decided it was time to build a church for the Catholics of Kaimuki. He started plans for a new building but because of poor health could not complete the work.
Father Athanasius Bous, SS.CC. took on the task of the new church with energy. The Catholics of Kaimuki generously contributed to the building fund. The new church was consecrated by Bishop Alencaster on February 10, 1929 and named it “St. Patrick”, after its first pastor.
These buildings were vacant when the Congregation moved Saint Louis College to Kalaepohaku in Kaimuki. In early February 1930, work started on a new St. Patrick School. By September 1930, a building with eight classrooms plus an auditorium stood ready for 200 students. The Sisters of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts agreed to staff the school. During the subsequent years, two classes were added each year. In 1933, the American Legion donated and erected a 65 foot flagpole for the school.
The Sisters of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts administered the school from 1930-1984. On January 14, 1949, a night fire destroyed the old wooden buildings. The priests and sisters from Sacred Hearts Academy, who taught at St. Patrick, rushed over to help put out the fire. Sadly, everything but two classrooms were lost. St. Patrick was without a school. A generous offer came from St. Louis College. The students of St. Patrick were allowed the use one of the school’s facilities on the slopes of Kalaepohaku. St. Patrick students could continue school. Saint Patrick students attended morning classes at St. Louis College and students of St. Louis attended classes from 12 noon to 4 in the afternoon. This arrangement continued until the new Saint Patrick School was dedicated in early July, 1950.
During the early years the school grew from 176 students in the first year to over 980 students in 1955. The Sacred Hearts Sisters left the school in 1984. The enrollment had declined to 670 students. A series of lay principals followed from 1985 to 1993. Then, in 1994 Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet accepted the administration of the school. The St. Joseph Sisters continued to develop the school until 2006.
At the invitation of the Brothers of the Sacred Hearts ~ Hawaii Province, the Sisters returned to administer the school in 2006. The Sisters re-established the SS.CC. charism and character within the school, the students, parents, and curriculum programs. During this transition year, the enrollment was 413 students. The Hawaii and East Coast Provinces of the Brothers united as on US Province in 2010.
In 2011, the US Province of the Sacred Hearts moved to separately incorporate ministries of the Province. Saint Patrick School was incorporated as a “not for profit Corporation” in January 2013. Presently, a Board of Directors, composed of both men and women of the Sacred Hearts, governs and directs the strategic development of the school.